Tuesday, July 8, 2014

My New Adventure

Funny...I looked back right before I started writing this post and noticed that the last blog post was titled "Things will never be the same". I am on a new adventure to starting a private practice, and that is about how I am feeling right now. There is no turning back. It has been such a whirlwind of emotion (see Spongebob below) that I think I have probably gone through all five stages of grief at some point. But here I am. Breathing and everything. 

My friend and colleague, Veronica Jacobsen, owner of Baby Love in Eagan, MN, approached me several months ago about renting office space at her business and providing mental health services there. At first, I said no. I am very comfortable where I am now- Clinic Director of a large, thriving practice- and I just do not like change. I like comfortable. Very much, thank you. *cuddles in virtual blanket*

Veronica and I met again a couple of months later, and Veronica told me, "You know I'm holding that space for you, right?" I gave a very hesitant, "I will think about it" and said I had to get through the Daisy Dash 5K first. She was very patient with me, thankfully. But driving home, I started considering possibilities. There are SO many things in the field of perinatal mental health that I would like to do that because of my current position, I just realistically could not do them. Plus, I would definitely be more accessible to new and expectant parents if I were INSIDE of Baby Love (kind of like Starbucks in Target). I found myself getting more and more excited about the prospect of making the change. I talked it over with my husband, who has been wonderfully supportive in almost every idea that I come up with, and there it was... a decision was made to take this chance and join forces with Veronica to see what we can do together. 

I have now given my notice with my current employer, and I am in the process of transitioning my patients. I still go up and down on this wacky rollercoaster ride- excited, scared, sad, nervous... but mostly excited. I love a new challenge, and have been reminded what a great village I have. 

In the meantime, my new website is up, Stages Counseling and people can schedule appointments ONLINE! Which I am very, very excited about. I have a lot more to process and write about, but all in good time. 

More to come...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment